Roald Dahl’s Estate has teamed up with McDonald’s to give away eight different Roald Dahl books with McDonalds Happy Meals Over a six week period. Each of the books will feature extracts from some of Roald Dahl’s most popular works including The BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Fantastic Mr Fox and The Witches and Matilda and The Twits. Of course you could buy all Roald Dahl’s books from a charity shop for the price of a Happy Meal, as I have done with Terry Pratchett, Michael Connelly and James Patterson novels (which were all in excellent condition).
It has been backed by the National Literacy Trust (NLT) whose recent study found that 15.4 percent of children don’t own a book, while 55.4 percent enjoy reading ‘very much’ or ‘quite a lot’. Research shows That Reading and telling stories together is important in giving children a solid grounding in literacy skills and helping them to reach their full potential and now many Parents who enjoyed the stories of Roald Dahl as children can now tell them to their children. The first Roald Dahl approved BFG illustration was made available online in July, The Twits got a theatrical treatment at the Royal Court and an essay Dahl wrote about the death of his daughter sparked a debate in the US about measles vaccination. This is the full list of books available.
- Roald Dahl’s Extraordinary Friends (featuring The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me and The BFG)
- Roald Dahl’s Fantastic Families – (featuring Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Fantastic Mr Fox)
- Roald Dahl’s Magical Mischief – (featuring George’s Marvellous Medicine and Matilda)
- Roald Dahl’s Secret Plans – (featuring Esio Trot and The Twits)
- Roald Dahl’s Curious Characters – (featuring The BFG and James and the Giant Peach)
- Roald Dahl’s Beastly Creatures – (featuring The Witches and The Enormous Crocodile)
- Roald Dahl’s Incredible Inventions – (featuring Charlie and The Chocolate Factory and George’s Marvellous Medicine)