The LMS ROyal Scott class 4-6-0 No. 46100 Royal Scot is due to appear at the Severn Valley Railway Autumn Steam Gala alongside Duchess of Sutherland and Q6 No. 63395. LMS 46100 Royal Scot was the first of its class. It was built in 1927 by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and was named Royal Scot after the Royal Scots. It became the flagship locomotive of the London Midland and Scottish Railway Company, operating the fastest services on the West Coast from London to Manchester and Glasgow. In 1933, 6152 The King’s Dragoon Guardsman and 6100 swapped identities permanently. 6152 had been built at Derby Works in 1930. The new Royal Scot was sent to the Century of Progress Exposition in Chigago during 1933 and toured Canada and the United States with a full rake of LMS carriages, even crossing the Rocky Mountains.
After returning to England it was given special commemorative plates that sit below its nameplates which read:
“This locomotive with the Royal Scot train was exhibited at the Century of Progress Exposition Chicago 1933, and made a tour of the Dominion of Canada and the United States of America. The engine and train covered 11,194 miles over the railroads of the North American continent and was inspected by 3,021,601 people.
W. Gilbertson – Driver T. Blackett – Fireman
J. Jackson – Fireman W.C. Woods – Fitter”
Following nationalisation of the big four railway compaines (GWR, LMS, LNER, SR) into British Railways in 1948, 6100 was renumbered 46100. In 1950 46100 was rebuilt with a 2A taper boiler, and the words “Prior to conversion” were added to its nameplates. It became a markedly different engine. In October 1962 46100 was withdrawn from service in Nottingham. It was bought by Billy Butlin of Butlins holiday camps after withdrawal and after cosmetic restoration into LMS crimson lake at Crewe Works, although this was the original livery received, the locomotive did not carry it after being rebuilt (only one rebuilt Royal Scot ever carried LMS crimson lake livery and that was 6170 British Legion). It was then towed from Crewe Works to Nottingham by Black 5 No. 45038 and then from Nottingham to Boston by B1 No. 61177 on 12 June 1963. After spending a few days at Boston shed it was taken to Skegness by an Ivatt 4MT. Then it languished in the goods yard for 3 weeks before being taken by a Pickford’s low loader for the short road trip to Ingoldmells.
Royal Scot arrived at Butlins on 18 July 1963 piped in by pipers from the 1st Battalion, The Royal Scots. This made 6100 one of two preserved rebuilt Royal Scots, the other being 6115 Scots Guardsman. It was set on a plinth at Skegness and was to remain there till the 1970s. On 16 March 1971 6100 departed from Skegness for the Bressingham Steam Museum and was returned to steam in 1972. It ran until 1978 when it once more became a static exhibit, it was eventually sold from Butlins to Bressingham in May 1989.
After sale to the Royal Scot Locomotive and General Trust (RSL>) in April 2009, chaired by enthusiast Jeremy Hosking, it was moved by road to Pete Waterman’s LNWR Heritage workshops in Crewe. On 2009, Royal Scot caught fire en route to a steam gala at the West Somerset Railway. The locomotive was being transported along the M5 Motorway when a fire started on the lorry under the loco’s leading wheels. The engine was later withdrawn from service due to a number of mechanical problems after completion from its previous restoration and it was decided to give the engine a complete overhaul to mainline standards. She performed her light and loaded test runs on Tue 22 & Wed 23 December 2015 and worked her debut railtour on Sat 6 February 2016 and also appeared at the Severn Valley Railway Steam Gala.
Princess Royal class Locomotive No 46233 Duchess of Sutherland is also due to appear at the Severn Valley Railway Autumn Steam Gala 2018. No 6233 Duchess of Sutherland was outshopped in July 1938 from Crewe Works and was part of the third batch of her class. These were unstreamlined, painted in LMS standard crimson lake livery and had a single chimney and no smoke deflectors and an estimated cost of £13,800 each. 6233 was initially allocated to Camden, London. It acquired a double chimney in March 1941 and because of drifting smoke acquired smoke deflectors in September 1945 before being painted in postwar LMS black livery in September 1946.
Following the creation of British Railways on 1 January 1948 it was allocated to Crewe North depot. BR renumbered the locomotive to 46233 in October 1948 and repainted it in BR Brunswick green livery in 1952 or early 1953. In June 1958 it was allocated to Carlisle Upperby before eventually being withdrawn from Edge Hill depot in February 1964. During its 25 years service Duchess of Sutherland ran 1,650,000 miles – the second highest mileage by any member of the class. After being Withdrawn by British Railways in 1964, the locomotive was originally sold to Butlins holiday camp in Scotland. In 1996, the locomotive was acquired by The Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust with the intention of restoration to mainline condition . In 2001, 46233 was restored to operating condition and since then has been a regular performer on the national network.
LNER Peppercorn A1 4-6-2 Pacific no: 60163 “Tornado” may also be spending the winter at the Severn Valley Railway this year,
In addition The GWR 78xx 4-6-0 Manor class locomotive 7819 Hinton Manor also returned to the SEvern Valley Railway On 22 August 2018 The loco had previously been on display at the designer shopping outlet in Swindon for eleven years. The shopping outlet is built on the site of the former Great Western Railway works. It was carefully removed from the building by a specialised SVR team, and travelled by road back to Kidderminster, thanks to hauliers Allelys Group. The locomotive is now on display at Kidderminster, Until after the August bank holiday weekend,